Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Student Question: Do I need the prereq?

The short answer to this question is yes. MATH 1316 is a prerequisite for this class, and for good reason. There is a substantial math component to this course (I am including time-value-of-money when I speak of 'math'). Students without a basic math background do have trouble.

I have intentionally put a large 'chunk' of the math material toward the start of the course. Referring to the syllabus, you will see that the chapter we cover initially (chapters 13, 14, and 15) cover the topics of real estate finance, time value of money, and mortgage mechanics. The reason, I put this material first is to see if you can handle it. Some students have a very difficult time with this early material and it typically is a result of relatively week math skills.

A long time ago, I covered these chapters near the end of the course. But since it was past the drop period, some students found out that they could not handle the material and it was too late to drop the course.

Now, the class roster does not tell me who has and had not met the prerequisite. Therefore, I will not be chasing anyone out of the class for this reason. However, I think it is important that I bring the prerequisite issue to your attention.

Not trying to scare anyone, but some students do struggle with the math.

No comments: